Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Fakie Bakie

It is getting to be that time of year.

Last summer, when I was so blissfully tan!

That time of year where I become not exactly thrilled with the amount of melanin in my skin.  
Yes, I can deal with, even appreciate my alabaster tone from the months of Octoberish to Marchish.
But then when the sun comes out (rare if you live in Syracuse!) I begin to yearn for a little color.

I'm not asking for much here, I just don't want to look like Queen Amidala for 11.5 months of the year!
(the .5 where I don't look like Queen Amidala I usually have a Darth Maulesque red tint.)

  Too many Star War references for one post.
Continuing on...

Alas, I have tried my fair share of self tanners.  They're relatively easy to use, and cost a great deal less than having to take care of damage from the sun later in life.
Who wants skin that looks like leather and age spots reminiscent of a dalmatian? not me!

A review of self tanners I've tried:

Jergens Natural Glow Moisturizers


I like this self tanner because it's very forgivable, aka you won't look like a zebra as long as you apply it with some care.  It is a buildable tanning product as well (comes in foam and lotion form), so you can decide how much color you want based on the frequency of application.  However, that "self tannerish" scent does tend to linger after you apply it, so I would recommend using before bed, so you don't risk receiving the scrunched nose from others.



Neutrogena Micromist Airbrush Sunless Tan 



The airbrush spray is great for getting an all over application, due to it's twistable nozzle.  The airbrush provides a light, even mist. I have never experienced zebra syndrome with this product.  That "self tannerish" smell does exist with this fast drying spray as well. But, the color this product gives you is fantastico!-one time I used a whole bottle in a weekend because I wanted to have a great tan for winter ball:


I mean everyone knew it was fake because it was February and I looked like August.





St. Tropez Self Tan Bronzing Lotion

One application and whambamjam! You look like you went on a vacation to the equator.  The smell of the lotion is yummy; and I would highly advise wearing gloves when applying this lotion. Or you will have palms that look like you dunked them in cheeto powder.  Also: there is no "self-tannerish" smell.






Nivea Body Sunkissed Firming Moisturizer


So the lotion doesn't firm.  But it is a very runny formula, which is good because you can get an even application of the buildable tanner this way.  The "self-tannerish" scent isn't as strong as Jergens. In fact someone told me I smelled good after applying this one day! Thanks, Nivea.


L'Oreal Dermo-Expertise Sublime Bronze Self-Tanning Gelee



I tried this, and waited for this product to dry for about an hour, and then I felt goopy and sticky (like you know after a hot summer day when you stand from sitting swear you've lost part of your thigh skin on the chair).  Also, if you don't rub it in super de duper well, you will end up with zebra syndrome.  On the plus side, the color is a nice bronze!  So, if you have 17 hours to kill and want to gives your calves a thorough massagin', go for it.



PHEW!  Can I just say that I first began this blog post on April 18th?  It has seriously been haunting me for over a month.  And I'm not sure why but I'm glad to get this thing out there!  

  I hope the weather hasn't been horrid on you all, and that a beautiful fake bake is headed your way!













No comments: