Friday, April 1, 2011

When bad makeup happens to good people.



"I should probably throw this out huh?"says one friend of her crusty, smelly mascara.


"Hmm, don't remember ever buying this," says another as she swipes on her blush.


Makeup, just like any other perishable item, has an expiration date.  As I express this to my friends, they tell me surely this can't be!
"But I've been wearing this powder since eighth grade!"


Although I am slightly disturbed by these comments (but really, eighth grade?!), it has inspired me to talk to you all about the shelf life of makeup.

It's not until it runs out, mom (who still owns the lipstick she wore on her wedding day over 24 years ago).




Good practices to use with makeup application:


-Clean Brushes.  Since most products can be used in direct contact with a brush, it is important to the shelf life of makeup to keep the contamination to a minimum.


I love this daily cleaner from Sephora:


Sephora Daily Brush Cleaner


Once every few weeks, I clean my makeup brushes with mild soap and lukewarm water and let them dry overnight.


-Do not leave the makeup containers open longer than necessary. The more you expose them to the air, the faster they will expire.


-Don't getcho fingers in your cosmetics! They have lots of oils that break down makeup.


With that being said...here are some guidelines of long to keep your makeup:




Make up for ever hd invisible cover foundation


Liquid/Cream Foundation:
8 months






Nars Concealer


Concealer:
10 months






Sephora Mineral Loose Powder Foundation


Powder:
1.5 years










Buxom Lash Mascara Special Effects Blue Noir


Mascara:
3 months






YSL Rouge Pur Couture


Lipgloss/Lipstick:
1.5 years








Hello Kitty Kharmmy Kohl eyeliner kit


Eye/Lip Pencils:
If sharpened regularly, can be used until they run out






Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure


Nail Polish:
2 years






Tarte Natural Beauty Cheek Stain


Blush:
 1 year




When ya know it's time to throw:

- Liquids are separating a la italian dressing before it is shaken up.


- Pencil tips are coated white or grey


- It's goopy, clumpy or the consistency has changed


- It smells bad


- The color has changed





Now go inspect your makeup bag e'erybody!






Happy Friday!  Sorry I've been such a slacker on here lately.  I've been a little sickie-but bouncin back!


Don't Call it a Comeback-I've been here for years!
Wait what?
Okay...on that note,goodnight.










No comments: